NAAMA NextGen Scholarship
Guidelines and Procedures
NAAMA Foundation is proud to support four students accepted into medical school (three students) and dental school (one student) with $5,000 per year, which cannot be renewed.
- The applications are open from June 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020.
- Scholarship award recipients will be notified by August 15, 2020.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SELECTION COMMITTTE MEMBERS
- Chair: Rouba Ali-Fehmi, MD
- Treasurer: Osama Kashlan, MD
- Secretary: Nidal Moukaddam, MD
- Applicant Review members:
- Basim Dubaybo, MD
- Mahmoud Aqel, MD
- Imad Sabbagh, MD
- Nawar Shara, MD
- Rouba Ali-Fehmi, MD
- Osama Kashlan, MD
- Nidal Moukaddam, MD
SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION PROCESS
A. Criteria for Selection
- The Committee will work together to develop the scholarship application form.
- Applicant must be a NAAMA NextGen member for at least one year prior to application.
- They shall submit an application, which shall include a biographical record and supporting material, including written essay demonstrating student’s interest in the history of Arabic culture, certificate of merit, grade transcripts, evidence of community service activity and documentation of financial need.
- The applicant must also agree to serve on NextGen committee for at least one year after graduation.
- The committee shall review and shall have final approval authority. Every reviewer will score each section of an application based on scoring system from 0 to 5, with 5 being the best. The mean of the final scores from the reviewers will be calculated for each application. The three best applicants in medicine and the best applicant in dental will be awarded the scholarship. If there arises a tie in the final mean scores, the decision will be made by majority vote.
B. Nondiscriminatory Policy
- Scholarship recipients will be selected based on criteria reasonably related to the charitable purposes of the Scholarship Fund.
- From the charitable class of individuals who could meet the established scholarship criteria, all scholarships shall be awarded on an objective and nondiscriminatory basis.
- In selecting scholarship recipients, the committee shall not take into account a candidate’s relationship with any person. Family members of past or present directors and/or employees of the Foundation shall not be eligible to receive scholarship grants, nor shall any person who is a “disqualified person”. Typically, no employee or family member of a donor, an advisor, or a member of the Scholarship Committee, is eligible to receive scholarship grants.
SOLICITATION OF APPLICANTS
- Typically, applicants shall be solicited nationally.
- Application forms can be accessed at NAAMA website and will be distributed to NAAMA NextGen members.
NOTIFICATION OF SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
- Scholarship recipients shall be notified after the Committee has given final approval of the
Scholarship award recipients
- The Scholarship Committee shall provide each scholarship recipient with a letter notifying him/her of the grant, and specifying that all amounts must be used exclusively for tuition at medical/dental schools.
- The recipient shall be required to sign and return a copy of the letter indicating his/her acceptance of the scholarship.
- The funds are provided for one year duration and are nonrenewable.
SUPERVISION OVER GRANTS
- The Scholarship Committee shall require each scholarship recipient enrolled in courses to provide a transcript indicating the recipient’s courses taken, and grades received in each academic period covered by the grant. The transcript must be verified by the educational institution that the recipient is attending.
- After receiving the required documentation of fees paid by the student, the Committee shall send scholarship checks in four installments to the student.