NAAMA’s International Medical conferences are designed to enhance the medical knowledge of our members, to contribute to the medical profession, and to support continuing medical education and research.
This year’s conference, “Sound Mind, Sound Body: Advances in Medicine and Public Health” will take place at the American University of Beirut with the participation of multiple nationally and internationally known physicians and public health professionals.
On behalf of NAAMA, we would like to cordially invite you to join us at our International Summer Conference in Beirut, Lebanon, from June 30-July 5. This year, the format of the conference is somewhat different when compared to previous conferences. We would like to share with you some of the highlights of this exciting NAAMA event.
This year’s conference, “Sound Mind, Sound Body: Advances in Medicine and Public Health” will take place at the West Hall on the beautiful campus of the American University of Beirut (AUB).
The conference has confirmed the participation of multiple nationally and internationally known physicians and public health professionals. We have assembled an impressive list of speakers and panelists who will present on a wide range of subject matter pertinent to you, the Arab-American clinician.
There has been thoughtful focus to ensure that subjects are pertinent also to the public health and humanitarian crises being faced by Lebanon and the entire region. The program includes:
- Medical advances in sleep medicine, cardiology, infectious diseases, women’s health, diabetes and obesity
- Special focus on addiction and psychiatric illnesses including new medication approval for depression, advances in cannabinoid research science, and child and adult mental illness
- Highlights on the interplay between medicine and public and global health, including lectures on public health advances, refugee efforts, building an international research program, and an overview of non-traditional tracks for medical students who wish to pursue research.
The Scientific Program schedule is:
- Monday, July 1 (9:00am- 12:30 pm)
- Tuesday, July 2 (9:00am- 12:30 pm)
- Wednesday, July 3 (9:00am- 12:30 pm)
No international event is complete without a Social Program. This year, NAAMA has contracted with Nakhal Tours, which has arranged a number of enjoyable activities. We have taken care not to over schedule the social program so as to allow NAAMA members and their families to explore Beirut and to visit with family and friends.
The social program includes:
- Welcome Reception to be held at the rooftop pool of the Rotana Gefinor Hotel on Sunday, June 30 (8:00 pm)
- Walking Tour of the AUB Campus
- Tour of Beirut Downtown & Pigeon Rock (Raouche) & Zaytouna Bay, Monday, July 1 (Pick up at 2:30pm)
- Gala Dinner, (Venue TBD), Tuesday, July 2 (7:30pm)
- Tour of Jeita Grotto & Harissa (including cable car ride), Wednesday, July 3 (Pick up at 2:30pm)
- Touristic Visit to the Cedars, Bisharri (including Gibran Museum), Byblos (Jbeil), Thursday, July 4 (Pick up at 9:00 am and return at approximately 6 pm). Lunch included.
TO REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE AND SOCIAL PROGRAM, CLICK THIS LINK:
NAAMA is building on the success of last year’s international youth program and will be offering two programs for NAAMA Youth (NAAMA NextGen). In collaboration with the AUB’s Summer Program for AUB Alumni Children (SPAAC) and the Center for Arab and Middle East Studies (CAMES), we are delighted to offer two distinct programs for NAAMA Youth. These are:
Program (Ages 14-18)
- One week option (July 1-7)
- Three week option (July 1-19)- HIGHLY RECOMMEMDED
- SPAAC program includes:
- Housing at the AUB dorms and full board
- Cultural enrichment, Arabic language education, social activities, education about the region, Arab and Lebanese studies, and visits with refugees, collaboration with humanitarian initiatives, tourism and visits to historic and cultural sites.
Intensive Arabic Program (Ages 18+)
- Three week option (July 1-19)- HIGHLY
- Housing at the AUB dorms and full board
- Intensive Arabic language education, social activities, education about the region, Arab and Lebanese studies, and tourism and visits to historic and cultural sites.
- Three week option (July 1-19)- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
NAAMA is pleased to be able to offer these truly transformative programs to NAAMA NextGen participants. These are truly unique offerings and represent the richest summer youth programs found anywhere in the MENA region. The venue is safe, secure, and the programs are well-supervised and well-organized. This is an opportunity to connect your children with their heritage and for them to experience life-changing experience that will imbue them with knowledge and pride of heritage like no other experience can offer.
NAAMA has partnered with Amel Association International (https://amel.org) and to the National Institution of Social Care and Vocational training known as Beit Atfal Assumoud (BAS) to provide visits to Amel and BAS projects throughout the duration of the conference.
Amel was created in 1979 by Dr. Kamel Mohanna side by side with pioneer international NGO’s such as Doctors Without Borders and Doctors of the World. Amel is an independent non-profit, non-confessional Lebanese organization that offers health, psychosocial, and human rights services.
The Beit Atfal Assumoud (BAS) is a humanitarian, non-sectarian and non-governmental organization. It was established in 1976 to provide assistance and services addressing the needs of the families, and through various gender-balanced projects empowering the potentials and skills of children, youth, women and parents/guardians.
Visits to Amel and BAS institutions/initiatives will take place:
- Monday, July 1 (2:00 pm- 6:00 pm)
- Wednesday, July 3 (2:00 pm- 6:00 pm)
- Friday, July 5 (9:00am- 6:00 pm)
This year, NAAMA has contracted with the Rotana Gefinor Hotel, which is about 250 meters from the AUB’s Medical Gate. The hotel is quaint hotel located in the Hamra distance and is within walking distance to the Hamra Street, Downtown Beirut, the AUB Medical Center, and the AUB Campus. The hotel offers a wonderful breakfast buffet. Rooms are limited, so please be sure to reserve early.
***REGISTRATION LINK FOR THE HOTEL ACCOMODATIONS WILL BE SENT SHORTLY***
We look forward to see you in Beirut! Please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Rouba Samman at the NAAMA National Office with any questions that you may have.
Contact information :
Hassan Fehmi, MD, Conference Co-Chair (NAAMA)
Ibrahim Khalifeh, MD, Conference Co-Chair (AUB)
Nabil Elie Khoury, MD, Conference Co-Chair (NAAMA)
Nidal Moukaddam, MD, Scientific Chair (NAAMA)
Rouba Ali-Fehmi, MD, President, NAAMA
Ghazi Zaatari, MD, Scientific Co-Chair, (AUB)